Monday, September 16, 2013

Interview with Janis Lein



We are excited to have your story in the anthology, too, Janis. It is a wonderfully imaginative piece. Thank you for a wonderful interview. 
_____________________________________________________________________________

1. Where have you been published?

I have been published a few times in Underneath the Juniper Tree, a delightfully dark literature magazine for children.

2. What is your favorite genre to write?

I love writing scary stories for children. When I was a kid, I couldn’t get enough of them, even though it made it almost impossible to fall asleep each night. I loved the rush that came when things that normally felt safe suddenly seemed strange and creepy. I like to revisit that feeling now by writing stories that I would have loved when I was young.

3. Who is your biggest supporter as far as writing goes?

My family and close friends are very supportive, but I would say my boyfriend is my biggest supporter. He is always excited to hear my ideas and read what I’m working on.

4. Tell us about your story in the Scared Spitless anthology.

My story is about a young girl who encounters her doppelganger one evening and receives a strange invitation. I started out with a very simple idea, but the story grew to something much more interesting as I was writing.

5. When did you realize you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve always loved writing things down. I’ve kept journals of my thoughts since I was 8 years old. It was only in the past few years that I started crafting my ideas into stories.  

6. Do you view your writing as a career or hobby?

For now, writing is a hobby. It’s my creative outlet. It can be a lot of fun, but also very difficult and frustrating at times. I have a lot of respect for those who do it as a career.

7. What inspired the story that will be in the Scared Spitless anthology?

This story was inspired by the many evenings I spent, as a child, getting creeped out by my own reflection in the bathroom mirror. Something about her just didn’t seem quite right…

8. How do you stay motivated?

My critique group definitely keeps me motivated. Whenever I find myself in a rut, their feedback helps me to keep going. They know exactly what I’m going through and push me to be a better writer.

9. Do your stories contain inspiration from real life?

A lot of my story ideas come as a result of my overactive imagination. It is rare that I get through an evening without an unexpected creak or shadowy shape evoking a creepy idea or two.

10. Where did you hear about Silly Tree Anthologies?
 

I was lucky enough to stumble upon Silly Tree Anthologies one day on the Internet. I read the call for submissions and thought immediately of submitting this story. At the time, it was unfinished and still needed a lot of work. So when I saw that the deadline was the next day, I freaked out a bit. But with some hard work and a LOT of revising, I got it in on time. I am very excited that my story will be included in this anthology!
_________________________________________________________________________






No comments:

Post a Comment