Friday, September 13, 2013

Interview with David Repsher



We loved David’s story! The premise is enough to scare anybody, and the creativity really knocked our socks off. Please enjoy our interview with David Repsher.
_________________________________________________________________

1.Tell us about your story in the Scared Spitless anthology.

“Hobbies” is about the demise of one serial killer and the birth, possibly, of another serial killer—or could he be called “Hero?”

2.What inspired the story that will be in the Scared Spitless anthology?

Like George Lance in my story, I was scared to death of the evening news as a kid. There seemed to be nothing but people killing people: wars and murders everywhere. The wars were a world away, but the murders were close to home. I was in constant fear of someone I know being murdered. To my young mind, the most heinous type of murder was rogue hitchhikers, in an ultimate betrayal of trust, killing the Good Samaritan drivers who picked them up. There seemed to be a lot of hitchhiker murders going on, and I started thinking about ways to turn the tables on the hitchhiker if I ever got into that situation as an adult. So this story was actually developed over a few decades.

3.When did you realize you wanted to be a writer?

When I was fifteen, I purchased The Eagle Has Landed by Jack Higgins at a yard sale for twenty-five cents. It was my first “adult” novel and from the first page, I was hooked. After I finished the book, I searched for similar novels, but was generally disappointed (unfairly, looking back now) in either the subject matter, or the author’s style. So, I just decided that if I couldn’t find anyone to write what I liked, I would do it myself!

4.At what age did you write your first story?

I guess I was in the fourth grade when the writing bug bit me. We were studying the Feudal System and were required to write a paper about it. Instead of writing a dry book-report-type paper like everyone else, I wrote it more in the style of a fiction story, allowing my imagination to take over and create a story around the facts. The teacher said she loved my originality and read my paper out loud to the class.

5.Do you view your writing as a career or hobby?

Definitely a hobby. Hobbies are for pleasure, careers are for work. I get much more pleasure from my writing than a feeling of work.

6.How do you stay motivated?

That’s hard to say. I can’t stay motivated unless the words come easily. Most of the time when I sit down to write, I relax and let the story take me where it’s supposed to go. When that happens, it’s easy to stay motivated. However, when it feels like I’m forcing the words onto the page, my motivation takes a hike. I hate when that happens.

7.Do your stories contain inspiration from real life?

Sure. Most of my characters are based, at least a little, on someone I have actually known. Most situations, unless they’re really “out there,” have some basis in my real life. I’m always amazed at how inspiration pops up from my everyday life.

8.Would you like to share a bit about your current work in progress?

I’m working on a book of short stories showing the world of the 1970s through a thirteen-year-old boy’s eyes. They are, of course, somewhat autobiographical, as I pull inspiration from my own teenage years, but they are more along the lines of how I would have liked it to be rather than the way it was.

9.What is your favorite genre to write?

I’ve written in just about all genres—maybe even creating a few new genres along the way—but I seem to gravitate to horror and thrillers. I’m an avid horror film fan and can’t seem to get enough, so it seems I always come back to that genre when I start writing.

10.Is there anything else you’d like to share with us?

I have written and illustrated a children’s book called Woodrow’s Waggish Wish, which has been published in New Zealand.

______________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment